[asterisk-users] Top Posting

James Mortensen james.mortensen at voicecurve.com
Sun Dec 30 20:37:10 CST 2012

I have an idea! Instead of arguing over whether or not top posting or
bottom posting is the way to go, something that obviously no one will
*ever*agree on, why not move to Google Groups instead (or something
similar to
Google Groups).

When I post to Doubango's list, it's easy, there's no top or bottom posting
wars, it just works. In fact, in a thread, Google Groups usually drops you
right to the most recent message, so the people who like top posting can
still see the most recent message while the bottom posters will still see
the bottom posting format.

It's either this, or we can sit and watch intelligent people continue to
degrade one another and argue over something with no agreement in site. :)

When I mentioned this before, someone from Digium said this will never
happen, and it's unfortunate.  Maybe they just like to see people bicker
and argue.

If there's a better alternative to Google Groups, or a way to set
preferences in the mailing list so that everyone is happy, maybe that's
something that could be done?

James

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler at artifact-software.com
> wrote:

> On 30/12/2012 11:13 AM, Patrick Lists wrote:
>
>> On 12/30/2012 04:26 PM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
>>
>>> I participate in a lot of lists and top posting is now the norm since
>>> people want to see quickly if the message is worth reading.
>>>

>> Isn't it a bit of a stretch to extrapolate your experience with your
>> lists to top posting being the norm? I am subscribed to several lists and
>> bottom posting, proper trimming and commenting inline is the norm there.
>>
>> Actually the norm is determined by the list rules. If the list rules say
>> one must use bottom posting then one should use bottom posting. If someone
>> does not like that then don't subscribe, find another source to ask a
>> question (the forum, LUG, hire a consultant) or just bottom post.
>>
>> Questions come before answers.
>> Answers come after questions.
>>
>> -1 against changing rule #5.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Patrick
>>
>>  Not really enough time in the day to keep track of different rules for
> all the forums.
> I am more concerned about content than form.
>
> As long as the questions get answered, I can figure out where it is but it
> is a PITA to scroll down through an e-mail to find out that there is
> nothing there worth reading.
> I get over 100 e-mails per day that make it through my filters. I like to
> read the content as soon as it pops up rather than searching for the text.
>
> Ron
>

>> --
>>

> --
> Ron Wheeler