[asterisk-users] Call Forwarding / Follow-Me on PRI

Barry D. Hassler barry.hassler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 15:41:56 CST 2012

Friends,

Curious if others have run into this scenario, and can shed further light
on it. I am working with an installed base of systems using PRI circuits
from several carriers, and the symptoms I relate occur across the board.

Most carriers are restricting CALLING Number ID to be one of the numbers
allocated to the associated circuit. This makes sense from a perspective of
call-fraud prevention.

We have clients that used call forwarding or follow-me extensively, and
configured to send the ORIGINAL callerID as the Calling ID, so when the
call shows up on their cell phone, it appears to be coming from the
originator. This capability seems to be going away.

Some legacy PRI carriers were not (and perhaps continue to be) so strict
about it, and a recent client who was used to this feature, is now unhappy
that their new PRI carrier does not allow any callingID other than one
associated with the PRI.

A workaround or RNIE (Redirecting Number Information Element) has been
recommended as an alternative, but that does not appear to be standardized,
nor implemented in asterisk. The only PBX vendors that appear to support
this in even a limited sense are Cisco and Shoretel.

I'm curious if others have encountered this same situation (I'm sure you
have), or any other pertinent thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

--
Barry D. Hassler