[asterisk-users] Congestion() forcing PRI channels to be not available

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 04:22:25 CST 2012

On 19 December 2012 21:54, Christopher Harrington <chris at acsdi.com> wrote:

> You probably already know this, but 1.4x is very old (released in 2006)
> and is officially end-of-life.
>
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Versions
>
> You might get more help or better behavior by updating to a newer more
> current version of Asterisk, such as 1.8 which will be receiving bug fixes
> into October 2014.
>

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM, James Lamanna <jlamanna at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have a PSTN Asterisk box that's connected to other dialplan PBXes
>> through IAX2.
>>
>> Recently this box was upgraded to 1.4.44 with the latest DAHDI version.
>> I've noticed that if one of the dialplan PBXes calls Congestion(), the PRI
>> will return ISDN code 34 (as its supposed to do).
>> However, the issue is that subsequent calls into that PRI channel are
>> immediately responded by a Code 44 (channel not available) even though
>> there is no live call on the channel.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Its a pretty crippling
>> behavior since all of our channels eventually become unresponsive until a
>> 'dahdi restart' is issued.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -- James

I believe that what you are describing is a very old bug, which is fixed
somewhere in the 1.8 timeline when the interface between DAHDI and Asterisk
is changed slightly. I encountered the same issue some time ago. I do not
recall the exact conditions under which the issue happens, but I believe it
is the attempt to cancel an unanswered inbound call with a specific subset
of cause codes.

If you are using an older Asterisk version, the only workaround is to use
Playtones + Hangup() instead of sending the Congestion() or Busy() cause
codes.

Regards,
Steve