[asterisk-users] can we install 10 PCI card on asterisk

Raj Mathur ( राज माथुर ) raju at linux-delhi.org
Tue Aug 28 00:53:07 CDT 2012

On Tuesday 28 Aug 2012, DHAVAL INDRODIYA wrote:
> Thanks for everyone input on this, this was just mine thoughts to put
> 80 PRI line in that.but after reading inputs from everyone i think
> there are some options to achieve it.
>
> it means i need to put a gateway which convert my SIP calls to PRI
> line and another options is to put
> multiple asterisk boxes and each box have maximum 16 pri lines . now
> which is best choice to work on further. also i need to consider
> hardware sizing too as if gateway is expensive i would go with pri
> cards.
> also if i choose gateway then  also i need to put multiple asterisk
> boxes.

FWIW...

Our largest setup consists of some 2000 SIP users distributed over 2
boxes (sip concentrators).  The PSTN interface is through another set of
boxes with up to 24 PRIs per box (dial banks).

Users log into one of the sip concentrators with soft (Qutecom) or hard
SIP phones.  When they place a call, it's automatically distributed to a
PRI on one of the dial banks.  The PRI selection is weighted random,
with individual preference sets being assigned for each group of
callers.

The biggest issue we faced was figuring out that you can't have more
than one PSTN provider on a single dial bank -- the timing sources
interfere with each other and cause call drops.  The current setup
connects all the PRIs of a single telco to a single dial bank,
eliminating that problem.  There are currently 3 telcos providing PRIs
in the largest centre.

The client and we are happily running vanilla Asterisk Debian packages
with (even though I say so myself) some scripting to die for.  Setup is
completely stable and is being used to generate some $15M of business
annually for the client.

Regards,

-- Raj
--