[asterisk-users] One leg in a conference and adjusting stream volume of other leg

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Mon Aug 27 13:08:42 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

Yes, I know.  That's what the DTMF menus in ConfBridge let you do.

> I think what I'm looking for is to inject the MP3 stream into only
> the
> "listening" direction of each user, and allow its volume to get
> adjusted
> via DTMF. And at the same time, each user is in the same conference.

Again, that is what the menus in ConfBridge do.  Please read the ConfBridge
documentation on the Asterisk wiki.

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/ConfBridge+10

> Even more: I would like to be able to feed each user a *different*
> volume-adjustable MP3 stream, but all of the users are still in the
> same
> conference (not hearing each others MP3 stream, only their voice!).

Feeding different MP3 streams from outside sources to different participants
is not possible in ConfBridge, as the bridging layer mixes the audio from the
various channels and sends it to all participants.  Manipulating the volume for
each participant is possible.

While feeding different MP3 streams to different users is not feasible,
you can stream different MOH classes to different users by setting the
music_on_hold_class user profile option for different ConfBridge users.

You can also stream audio to a single channel using the playback menu option,
but that's for relatively short messages, and not for "MOH" type situations.

> I've researched high and low and came up with the following pointers:
>
> - Dial with the G flag

I'm not sure why transferring to a particular dialplan context would be
needed here.  If you wanted to bounce out to the dialplan while in a
ConfBridge, that's possible using the dialplan_exec menu option.

> - ChanSpy, whispering

You could always bounce out to the dialplan and execute a ChanSpy on
the channel in the bridge, but that feels overly complex for what
you're attempting to do.

> - VOLUME()

This does the same thing under the hood that the ConfBridge listening/talking
volume menu options do.

> - MOH connected to a local channel

This would stream some music into the Bridge to all participants.  You may
want this to stream some MP3 file into the conference; on the other hand,
it doesn't allow for the same granularity that the music_on_hold_class
bridge profile option provides.

> - Queue that loops indefinitely

This just scares me.

> But I don't know yet how to put it all together.
>
> I found some hints in the right direction here:
>
> "Playing audio to one channel only":
> http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-users@lists.digium.com/msg245811.html
>
> "Meetme with background music" (last post)
> http://fonality.com/trixbox/forums/trixbox-forums/help/meetme-background-music
>
> "Background music during a call"
> http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-users@lists.digium.com/msg254252.html

Those are all MeetMe specific.  You can certainly use MeetMe in Asterisk 10 and
put together a solution using what those forum/e-mails suggest; or you can
use the tools provided in ConfBridge.

> Does anyone have the right solution and is available to create a
> dialplan for me for cash? Please get in touch!

If you don't want to do the work yourself, contact the asterisk-biz list.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager