[asterisk-users] can we install 10 PCI card on asterisk

Patrick Lists asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 27 08:26:08 CDT 2012

On 27-08-12 14:08, DHAVAL INDRODIYA wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> i would like to know if anyone has done or having idea regarding PRI
> terminations in asterisk.
>
> i have a requirement where i need to support 80 PRI in one machine i
> have found a machine which have 10 PCI slots available
>
> now i am thinking of arranging 8port sangoma card in this pci slots so i
> can arrenge 10 card in that.
>
> is it possible to run system like that ? is it good idea , can asterisk
> handle 2400 calls if machine size and RAM is good.

I don't think Asterisk can handle that many DAHDI channels and I have
never heard of an Asterisk box with more that 16 PRI's.

Taking a step back, do you really want to put all your eggs in one
basket? what if the box fails? That's 2400 channels going down and
unavailable until you fix it. That will cost a log of money and get you
angry clients. It makes more sense to spread the lot across different
servers. Besides that, is your telco willing to provide you with 80x PRI
or will they insist on aggregating it to several E3 links or something
higher (STM-1)?

If you really insist on going down this route have a look at FreeSWITCH
or look at something like Cisco, Alcatel, Telco Systems etc.

Regards,
Patrick