[asterisk-users] Japanese voicefiles

Chris Bagnall asterisk at lists.minotaur.cc
Thu Aug 23 11:50:31 CDT 2012

On 23/8/12 5:26 pm, Adrian Marsh wrote:
> I've a few questions around languages.... I'm on 1.4.18 (old yes I know, but upgradings not an option just yet).
> I've downloaded the gsm Japanese files from ftp://ftp.voip-info.jp/asterisk/sounds/ and put them in place
> I've found that when I switch to jp, and play some of my own voicefiles in Background and Playback, that it chooses the /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/jp folder files and plays them, but, voicemail doesn't seem to do this, instead it picks the English files (although the debug output says its using 'jp').

We use a similar method to play British English sounds - they're in
/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/britishfemale - and voicemail seems to pick
them up correctly. Have you made sure to specify language = jp in the
relevant places? You need to do it in whichever module is originating
the call to Voicemail - so if it's a SIP client, you'd probably do it in
sip.conf, but if it's an incoming call, it's probably easier to do it in
extensions.conf.

FWIW, this is also using an old version - 1.4.21, so unless something's
changed between .18 and .21, it should work with your setup.

Kind regards,

Chris