[asterisk-users] Asterisk 11 - BLF on Custom devices

Noah Engelberth Noah at directlinkcomputers.com
Tue Aug 21 14:30:07 CDT 2012

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Phil Frost
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:20 PM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Asterisk 11 - BLF on Custom devices

On 08/21/2012 02:52 PM, Noah Engelberth wrote:
The short of the output is - there is no console output showing == Extension Changed 302[hints] new state on the Ringing or InUse&Ringing events - only on InUse or Idle events (which matches what I'm seeing on the phones).

Weird. I just did a test on my production system, 1.8.11.1 (from digium repository) on Debian Squeeze and a Snom 870 running firmware 8.4.35. I had the verbosity set to 3, and I manually changed the devstate in the console with "devstate change 207-support-agent RINGING". I got a message:

 Extension Changed 207-support-agent[employees] new state Ringing for Notify User pfrost

and my phone updated its interface to reflect the change. Tested also with INUSE, NOT_INUSE, and RINGINUSE and all resulted in a NOTIFY being sent to the handset. Though the Snom 870 doesn't distinguish between RING and RINGINUSE, it did change from displaying "talking" to "idle" or "ringing". So, at least with my environment, asterisk is capable and successful at sending SIP NOTIFY for custom devstates.

I've no idea why you'd get updates for NOT_INUSE and INUSE but none of the other states. It looks like your dialplan logic is complex enough that I'm having a hard time following it and understanding what should be happening, so I'd suggest testing twiddling the device states through the console and see if that generates NOTIFYs. If not, I'd verify that something is actually subscribed with "sip show subscriptions". If something is subscribed and a NOTIFY isn't generated, I'd suspect a bug. If you do get NOTIFYs when changing the devstate in the console but not when making calls, then maybe something in your dialplan logic is wrong, and I'd say simplify it until the problem is found, or it's simple enough to re-ask on the list.

Changing the Custom devstate from the CLI generates "Extension Changed for Notify User" messages when I change to INUSE or NOT_INUSE, but not when I change to RINGING or RINGINUSE.  If I change from NOT_INUSE to RINGING and then back to NOT_INUSE, no notify messages are being generated.

core show hints does show the correct state for 301 at hints when I make the manual change to RINGINUSE (or RINGING).  sip show subscriptions does show 2 subscriptions (1 each from 302 and 303) for 301 at hints.

Thank you,

Noah Engelberth
MetaLINK Technologies