[asterisk-users] DTMF transmission problem

Noah Engelberth Noah at directlinkcomputers.com
Thu Aug 2 13:15:56 CDT 2012

At the risk of answering myself --

Found that on calls Asterisk was bridging together and not "hearing" the DTMF, it was working normally.  On calls that Asterisk was still "hearing" the DTMF, it was being clipped.  It seems that Asterisk was involved in relaying the DTMF on calls to IAX endpoints as well as calls to SIP endpoints on a different network from the Asterisk customer-facing network interface (in all cases, Asterisk was locally bridging calls, as I have directmedia=no set for all SIP peers and the MetaSwitch is on a different interface/network than the customers anyway).  When I inserted the line "dtmfmode = inband" for the problematic SIP peers, DTMF began working normally.  A little frustrating, in that the peer should have been requesting InBand DTMF based on its config, and even changing the peer's config to RFC 2833 DTMF wasn't helping things, but at least things appear to be working now.

Thank you,

Noah Engelberth
MetaLINK Technologies