[asterisk-users] Advice on Asterisk Conference

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sun Apr 22 12:34:57 CDT 2012

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012, Stuart Elvish - IP Exchange Systems wrote:

>> 1.  DO I need a separate server for the conference server?
> This depends on a few factors:
> (a) You won't be able to run MySQL alongside Asterisk with conferencing
> and get good results. If you plan to use a single Asterisk server to do
> conferencing and other voice functions (for example voicemail) then I
> wouldn't expect any major issues. It depends on the usage of each voice
> function of the system.

I don't think there was enough information in the OP's post to support the
statement that running MySQL and Asterisk on the same box will not yield
good results.

I prefer to run them on separate boxes. Database servers and 'telco'
servers have different resource requirements and seem to need different
administration styles but they are not fundamentally incompatible.

Aside from the OP asking 'how many participants' (which leads me to assume
he wants 'a lot') we have no clue to his requirements.

If the OP wants 'lots of participants' and is doing 'a lot' of database
activity then separate servers are justified.

Otherwise, a dozen or so participants and the database on the same box
would not concern me from a 'can do' perspective. I'd still vote for
separate boxes if the budget can support it.

Hey OP, better details yield better suggestions :)

--
Thanks in advance,