[asterisk-users] g729 freezes 1.8

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Apr 19 12:59:56 CDT 2012

On 04/19/2012 11:52 AM, A J Stiles wrote:
> On Thursday 19 April 2012, samuel wrote:
>> Just in case it helps:
>>
>> It turned out that from asterisk version 1.8.4 on, the g729 binaries are
>> different from the previous versions so it was a version mismatch between
>> the g729 (1.8.0_3.1.5) and asterisk (1.8.8 and higher).
>>
>> Thanks to the Digium support department that found out the issue.
>
> Someone really needs to get the mPlayer folks  (based on the Continent, where
> mathematics is not patentable)  to create an Open Source g729 codec
> implementation .....

Source code availability is not the issue; the reference source code is
easily obtained from the ITU-T. Many of the G.729 patent holders are
companies based in Europe, so I suspect they would have a different
opinion than you do about the legitimacy of their patent claims on G.729 :-)

In any case (and of course IANAL), it is my understanding that the
patents that cover the base G.729 recommendation, along with Appendices
A and B, will all expire in the next year or so. We'll have to see what
that means for the market, especially with new, more freely licensed,
codecs coming out that provide substantially better performance.

--
Kevin P. Fleming