[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8.11.0 Debian Squeeze packages with T.38 gateway, queue hints and fixed RFC4235 (notifycid=yes)

Niccolò Belli darkbasic at linuxsystems.it
Wed Apr 18 06:08:55 CDT 2012

Hi,

Il 18/04/2012 00:39, Kevin P. Fleming ha scritto:
> You guys know that it works in Asterisk 10, but you say you can't use
> Asterisk 10 for some reason that I don't understand.

1) No Debian packages for v10. If you have to maintain lots of servers,
installing from sources is a big burden. Compile, install and forget
isn't the way I work: if I have to apply a fix or close a security hole
I can easily push the patches to my build server which will recompile
all the branches I maintain, then every server will automatically
upgrade with cron jobs.

2) A new whole of problems when upgrading production machines from a
working 1.8.x to v10. That will mean parsing configs manually, find the
problems and fixing them.

3) Third parties utilities/hardware/modules. I'm still waiting for a fix
for my Sangoma BRI card which did broke when upgrading... You need a
compatible version of third parties components to use recent versions of
asterisk/dahdi/whatever and upgrading third parties components does
always mean problems.

4) Isn't v10 supposed to be
"beta"/non-production/non-long-term-support?[1] If we want to honor what
Digium says we should use 1.8 for production servers when reliability is
important. Backporting a single "unstable" feature is much better than
the whole thing.

5) What was the purpose of the t38gateway-1.8 branch? Why did it existed
at all if not to allow users to use t38 gw in production servers? I even
read about the possibility to backport t38 gw to 1.8 as a plugin, but it
seems it isn't a requested feature (which is strange because I know
peoples who stopped using asterisk because of the lack of t38 gw).

I really don't want to do polemics: I always used pstn for the faxes
until now and I will keep using it. No problem.

Cheers,
Niccolò

[1]https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Proposed+changes+to+Asterisk+release+and+support+cycles