[asterisk-users] /usr/sbin/asterisk -rx and AMI

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Mon Sep 19 10:00:24 CDT 2011

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Jonas Kellens
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 9:53 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [asterisk-users] /usr/sbin/asterisk -rx and AMI

Hello,

currently I run a php script in cron which polls for information on SIP
peers using the /usr/sbin/asteirsk -rx method.

I notice that after some time the Asterisk interface freezes, SIP Peer
registrations become unreachable and sip reload or any other command on the
CLI does not respond !
Solution : /sbin/service asterisk restart

Is it possible that the 2 minute polling interval is to much load for the
Asterisk-proces ?

Would I have better luck by using AMI to poll SIP peers ?

Kind regards,

Jonas.

You don't say what release of Asterisk you are running, but here are a few
generalities:

1.       Asterisk -rx uses more overhead but shares many of the handles that
the AMI interface uses

2.       If you are using flat files, you could poll /var/log/asterisk/full
for this information

3.       If you are using MYSQL files, you could poll independently as well

4.       The 2-minute interval should not be overloading asterisk, but may
be overkill/underkill depending on your register timeouts.

Hope this is useful to you.