[asterisk-users] Monitoring second leg being dialed?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Sep 16 10:54:48 CDT 2011

On 09/16/2011 06:13 AM, Gilles wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:49:51 +0200, Jeroen Eeuwes
> <jeroeneeuwes at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I think this is a very common situation, so I'm not really sure what
>> your problem is. Perhaps it's because I don't use an internal card,
>> but in my situation it works just fine. I dial a number on my SIP
>> phone, Asterisk goes through the dialplan, and puts the call out via
>> the SPA3102. In my ear I hear ringing sounds, busy, wrong number or
>> someone talking to me just like if I had connected a "normal" phone to
>> the PSTN line.
>
> I haven't done this yet, and was looking for information.
>
> I was under the (apparently false) impression that Asterisk/Dahdi
> didn't connect the two legs until the callee had gone off-hook.

This is true, but you already answered your own question in your
original post: since Asterisk cannot know whether the called party
(dialing out via an FXO port) has answered or not, it assumes the
outgoing call is 'answered' as soon as dialing has been completed.
Because of this, the calling channel is bridged to the called channel as
soon as dialing has been completed, and the calling party will hear the
progress of the outbound call.

--
Kevin P. Fleming