[asterisk-users] Monitoring second leg being dialed?

Jeroen Eeuwes jeroeneeuwes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 05:49:51 CDT 2011

Hi Gilles,

> Sorry about that. It's a PNG file and it opens in the two browsers I
> tried.

It opens here too. It's very simple though. I would put it like this:

VOIP phone <---SIP over the internet---> Asterisk <---internal FXO
card---> PSTN-outlet <---PSTN---> PSTN phone

> Can Dahdi/Asterisk do that? Has anyone used a small Asterisk box at
> home connected to their ADSL modem so that they can make free calls
> from overseas?

I have asimilar situation. Except, I don't have an internal card but
an external SPA3102 -box which converts my PSTN line to SIP and
connects that to my Asterisk box. The SPA3102 was far cheaper than any
FXO card I could find.

I have other SIP (hard or soft) phones connect to my Asterisk as well.
Some on the LAN, some over internet.

I can use all the phones to dial out on the PSTN line and incoming
calls just the same (in real life I only allow a few phones to call
out and only one or two will ring when a call come in).

I think this is a very common situation, so I'm not really sure what
your problem is. Perhaps it's because I don't use an internal card,
but in my situation it works just fine. I dial a number on my SIP
phone, Asterisk goes through the dialplan, and puts the call out via
the SPA3102. In my ear I hear ringing sounds, busy, wrong number or
someone talking to me just like if I had connected a "normal" phone to
the PSTN line.

I'm probably not understanding why you think that the FXO card should
provide you with the call progress status. I don't think it works like
that on a PSTN line, you just have to listen to the sounds yourself.

Best regards,
Jeroen Eeuwes