[asterisk-users] Asterisk server: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Mon Sep 12 16:35:16 CDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Steve Totaro
<stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com>wrote:

> See comments inline.
>
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 2:21 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm about to start building my asterisk server and I can't seem to find
>> anything that discusses the pros and cons of installing the OS (Fedora 15)
>> as console only or GUI, ie install KDE as well.
>>

> If you want an OS that is going to be supported a year from now, don't use
> Fedora.
>
> Go for CentOS which is essentially Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora is pretty
> much beta RHEL.  It's EOL is one year from my understanding.
>
> You want to install the very minimum as most people would agree, why do you
> think you need a GUI.
>
> Best practice is to only install the bare minimum on a server.
>

>> So, other than a bit of disk space, is there any reason why I shouldn't
>> install KDE when I set it up ?
>>

> It has and will cause issues.  I have installed KDE or whatever but booted
> to init 3 for a couple of machines.  I could go to init 5 if I had to, but I
> never did had to.  I don't see a single pro, but there are many cons.
>
> What benefit do you get from KDE?  Why do you want it.  Is this just going
> to be an asterisk server or a desktop?
>

>> Is there any great disadvantage to running the server in init level 5 (ie
>> KDE, xorg, etc) running in the background, but not being logged in, versus
>> init level 3 ? (Or whatever they call these things these days..., ie F15
>> uses systemd...)
>>
>> FWIW, my server hardware will sit on a server rack in the utility room.  I
>> might drag a display and keyboard down there once in a while to troubleshoot
>> and/or do maintenance, but mostly I'd ssh in and probably use a remote
>> desktop app to work on it.
>

> How does remote desktop help you over an SSH CLI?
>

>> FWIW, I'm OK doing things via the CLI, but sometimes its really nice to
>> have graphical tools.
>>

> Ok, I can understand, I used to be like this for a while.  I am a huge fan
> of Webmin for a GUI.  It allows for almost everything and for me, it is
> better than KDE or anything else.  It is just a webpage with tools
> attached.  No big potential problem there.
>

>> I look forward to your input.
>>
>> Thanks

I have been using Vyatta (paid for with phone support.)

It makes for the most powerful Asterisk platform you can imagine.  There is
a learning curve but I love what I have put together.  There are howtos
everywhere and if you buy licenses, you get excellent support and online
training courses.

It is a very firewall/Router.  It handles everything from OpenVPN, awesome
security features, IPS, and even QoS, wireshark.

I put webmin and NTOP on these machines as well.  Vyatta has become my new
platform for Asterisk.

Check it out http://www.vyatta.org/documentation

There is very little you cannot do, but don't have to use the features if
you don't want to.

Vyatta is also a company like Asterisk.  Vyatta is the baby of former
bigtime corporate Cisco guys.  Asterisk is the baby of former Adtran execs.

Thanks,
Steve T

Thanks,
Steve T