[asterisk-users] Asterisk server: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Mon Sep 12 16:12:42 CDT 2011

See comments inline.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 2:21 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm about to start building my asterisk server and I can't seem to find
> anything that discusses the pros and cons of installing the OS (Fedora 15)
> as console only or GUI, ie install KDE as well.

If you want an OS that is going to be supported a year from now, don't use
Fedora.

Go for CentOS which is essentially Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora is pretty much
beta RHEL.  It's EOL is one year from my understanding.

You want to install the very minimum as most people would agree, why do you
think you need a GUI.

Best practice is to only install the bare minimum on a server.

> So, other than a bit of disk space, is there any reason why I shouldn't
> install KDE when I set it up ?

It has and will cause issues.  I have installed KDE or whatever but booted
to init 3 for a couple of machines.  I could go to init 5 if I had to, but I
never did had to.  I don't see a single pro, but there are many cons.

What benefit do you get from KDE?  Why do you want it.  Is this just going
to be an asterisk server or a desktop?

> Is there any great disadvantage to running the server in init level 5 (ie
> KDE, xorg, etc) running in the background, but not being logged in, versus
> init level 3 ? (Or whatever they call these things these days..., ie F15
> uses systemd...)
>
> FWIW, my server hardware will sit on a server rack in the utility room.  I
> might drag a display and keyboard down there once in a while to troubleshoot
> and/or do maintenance, but mostly I'd ssh in and probably use a remote
> desktop app to work on it.

How does remote desktop help you over an SSH CLI?

> FWIW, I'm OK doing things via the CLI, but sometimes its really nice to
> have graphical tools.

Ok, I can understand, I used to be like this for a while.  I am a huge fan
of Webmin for a GUI.  It allows for almost everything and for me, it is
better than KDE or anything else.  It is just a webpage with tools
attached.  No big potential problem there.