[asterisk-users] Asterisk server: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

Robert Huddleston rhuddleston at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 13:37:23 CDT 2011

Well you are correct - I did not include a discussion on performance impacts
including disk I/O etc.

It is true that by installing a GUI o/s additional init.d (startup) services
will fire.. Additional libraries will be inclusive etc.

This is why I say minimal is always better.

Also take for example risk mitigation with security aspects. If you minimize
the number of libraries (think windows DLL's) you have installed you also
thus minimize your potential exposure.

Again - this is just my recommendation and experience. Firewalls are great
at blocking things and in theory - sure you could nmap your box and look for
open ports and conceal them.

I remember a Solaris engineer we had once - he bragged and bragged about his
qualifications on Sun Solaris. Just to find out that he installed a bunch of
GUI tools just so that he could install Oracle drivers. Further he didn't
remove or lock down that exposure.

Start minimal and work your way up. Now for my poke / razz - GUI's in server
grade operating systems have made people a little to reliant on them.