[asterisk-users] Asterisk server: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 13:29:25 CDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Robert Huddleston
<rhuddleston at gmail.com>wrote:

> I personally would never install a GUI o/s… By doing so you always open
> yourself up to more security concerns.. Packages / ports / etc.****
>
> ** **
>
> Course one might argue – “it’s behind a firewall”….****
>
> ** **
>
> In my professional experience with running numerous ISP and VoITSPs the
> rule has always been install the minimum needed software to accomplish the
> goal.

Thanks for the reply.  I was worried the list would find it a trite and
irritating question.

I was expecting someone to tell me that even with the GUI component running
in the background, the graphical processes have the potential to mess up the
streams.  I guess I should confess that I'm always a bit surprised to
remember that asterisk doesn't require a real time OS !

Have you really exposed much more if you install the GUI components and
normally run at init 3 ?

Thanks again.