[asterisk-users] Beginner Question: 4 fxo TDM410 setup

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 05:12:33 CDT 2011

On Wednesday 07 September 2011, A Dunor wrote:
> Hello list. Just another beginner question. I am trying to setup a basic
> home phone system. I ordered a TDM410 card, which came with 4 fxo ports.
> I want the home phone system to be able to initiate and receive calls.
> Can it be done with this card with just one type(no fxs) of ports? If it
> can be done please help me with scenarios.

An FXO  (Foreign eXchange Office)  port connects to an exchange line.  An FXS
(Foreign eXchange Station)  port carries the supply and ringing voltages to
connect to a telephone.

Most people only have 1  (or at most 2)  phone lines into the home, so four
FXO ports is a bit excessive.

What you want can be done with what you have; but with no FXS ports on the
computer, you will need to use all SIP phones  (or SIP to FXS adaptors, such
as the Grandstream HandyTone 286).

The modules on the cards can be swapped, so you could still order some FXS
modules and use those to connect to "ordinary" phones.  (But if you got the
card from where I think, you might find it cheaper just to buy another card
with four FXS modules, swap some of them over and see if you can't sell the
unused card and modules .....)

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.