[asterisk-users] Distributed device state / presence info??

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Sep 6 07:12:13 CDT 2011

On 09/05/2011 03:05 AM, Hans Witvliet wrote:

>>> let asterisk do some of the presense-info by means of the jabber.conf
>>> file and a seperate xmpp-server.
>>
>> You are misunderstanding a bit; Asterisk can use an XMPP server and
>> PubSub to *distribute* presence information among a cluster of Asterisk
>> servers. This information is not intended to be directly sent to XMPP
>> clients.
>>
>>> What i assume (please correct me if i am wrong) is that when a client
>>> registers/deregisters, asterisk will update the presence info towards
>>> the XMPP-server. Correct?
>>
>> Yes, in order to let other Asterisk servers in the cluster know about it.
>>
>>> But otoh, what people would like to see is who is "on line".
>>> And not only on the asterisk-server that they are connected to, but also
>>> from other possible asterisk servers.
>>> And furthermore, each registered user might want to set their
>>> presencse-status to either free/busy/away/what-ever.
>>
>> Asterisk does not support 'user' presence; it supports device and
>> extension presence. In some applications these can be used
>> interchangeably, but in others they don't match up very well.
>>
> Ok, so that should mean that the "presence-status" is controlled by the
> fect wether a sip-user is registered or not?
> If so, i'm still making a mistake somewhere:

No, Asterisk sends "extension state" information, not "presence". The
informations sent to the SIP endpoints is based on whether the monitored
endpoint is considered 'busy' or not. It may also be based on whether it
is registered or not, but I don't remember for sure.

> I tried to simplify my configuration: Just one asterisk machine,
> And two users (my and myself) with two linphones, one from a XP-machine
> and the other from a SuSE-machine.
>
> They can both register and call each other, and in linphone presence is
> enabled.
> However if i manually add on each side the corresponding info (name +
> sip-address) in the linphone app, they always remain grey / "away" Even
> while in the middle of an connection to each other.

Have you created hints in the dialplan to tell Asterisk what device(s)
it should monitor in order to provide the extension state for the URIs
you are asking the phones to subscribe to?

--
Kevin P. Fleming