[asterisk-users] Distributed device state / presence info??

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Mon Sep 5 03:05:58 CDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 11:33 -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 04:39 PM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
>
> >> From the asterisk-bible and the wiki's i learned that it is possible to
> > let asterisk do some of the presense-info by means of the jabber.conf
> > file and a seperate xmpp-server.
>
> You are misunderstanding a bit; Asterisk can use an XMPP server and
> PubSub to *distribute* presence information among a cluster of Asterisk
> servers. This information is not intended to be directly sent to XMPP
> clients.
>
> > What i assume (please correct me if i am wrong) is that when a client
> > registers/deregisters, asterisk will update the presence info towards
> > the XMPP-server. Correct?
>
> Yes, in order to let other Asterisk servers in the cluster know about it.
>
> > But otoh, what people would like to see is who is "on line".
> > And not only on the asterisk-server that they are connected to, but also
> > from other possible asterisk servers.
> > And furthermore, each registered user might want to set their
> > presencse-status to either free/busy/away/what-ever.
>
> Asterisk does not support 'user' presence; it supports device and
> extension presence. In some applications these can be used
> interchangeably, but in others they don't match up very well.

Ok, so that should mean that the "presence-status" is controlled by the
fect wether a sip-user is registered or not?
If so, i'm still making a mistake somewhere:

I tried to simplify my configuration: Just one asterisk machine,
And two users (my and myself) with two linphones, one from a XP-machine
and the other from a SuSE-machine.

They can both register and call each other, and in linphone presence is
enabled.
However if i manually add on each side the corresponding info (name +
sip-address) in the linphone app, they always remain grey / "away" Even
while in the middle of an connection to each other.

(Probably not relevant, but i'm using 1.8.3)

hw