[asterisk-users] CallerID inconsistently presented through ISDN/cellular networks

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Tue Oct 11 11:06:19 CDT 2011

Hi,

I'm facing a strange problem.

My setup is:
Alice cellphone <--GSM--><--ISDN--> Asterisk <-- ISDN --><--GSM--> Bob
cellphone

When Alice calls Asterisk which forwards the incoming call to Bob, sometimes
Bob sees Alice's number, sometimes he sees a default CallerID (which happens
to match the dialed number and the ANI).
For various reasons, Bob really needs to see Alice's number when Alice is
calling.

When I compare one "successful" (ie presented with Alice ID) calls with one
"unsuccessful" (with debug and verbose levels respectively set to 0 and 3),
I can't see any difference between both calls within Asterisk logs :
every time Asterisk, receives Alice CallerID and set outgoing channel
CallerID with the same value.
(The only I could find, at the moment, to distinguish a successful call is
to call Bob and ask him to tell what happened).

If that matters, let me add this:
- each incoming call is forwarded with a simple Answer(), Dial() sequence,
- when I'm presenting an outgoing with too many digits, the call is
presented with a default CallerID.

My understanding is "as each network used is purely digital, you can't loose
CallerID".
Is this roughly correct ?
In which direction, shall I dig ?

Regards