[asterisk-users] Digium FFA + Gafachi T38 outgoing issues

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sat Oct 8 09:22:53 CDT 2011

On 10/08/2011 05:21 AM, Steve Underwood wrote:
> On 10/08/2011 04:04 AM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

>>> No NAT involved and I shut off IPTables. Still no luck. Debug shows the
>>> SIP invite, RTP frames going in & out, the SIP reinvite, and then UDPTL
>>> frames coming in until timeout.
>>>
>>> See the entire transaction at http://pastebin.ca/2087758
>>
>> Thanks for that; it helps.
>>
>> First, we can see that Gafachi's T.38 implementation still has some
>> breakage in it (although the problems are ones that Asterisk has been
>> taught to deal with). In its 200 OK to the T.38 re-INVITE, it has
>> "a=T38FaxRateManagement:transferredTCFlocalTCF"; this is not valid
>> (the valid values for this are 'transferredTCF' and 'localTCF'). In
>> addition, even though Asterisk sent "a=T38FaxUdpEC:t38UDPRedundancy",
>> Gafachi replied with "a=T38FaxUdpEC:t38UDPFEC". For T.38 version 0
>> (which is in use here), the only valid response was either what
>> Asterisk sent, or no T38FaxUdpEC value at all.
> t38UDPFEC is perfectly valid for version 0 of T.38. It works badly, so
> it makes no sense to use it, but it is valid.

Yes, it's a valid option in an offer, but it's not a valid option in
answer unless that's the value that was in the offer; in all T.38
recommendations until the most recent, the answer must include either
the same T38FaxUdpEC value as the offer did, or no value at all. The
most recent version allows the answer to include a different value from
the offer, because it was always reasonable, just not allowed by the
recommendation.

--
Kevin P. Fleming