[asterisk-users] Questions on Dahdi

Dale Noll dnoll at wi.rr.com
Thu Oct 6 07:59:25 CDT 2011

On 10/05/2011 07:28 PM, asterisk asterisk wrote:
> I have naive question. I do not have any hardware on my asterisk host.
> All I have are either SIP trunk for DID or hardware ATA which bridges
> the asterisk to PSTN. Do I need Dahdi install? Do i have ztdummy for
> timing issue? I encounter problem in this when I try to install Dahdi
> latest but I found it is not running, Instead it runs when service
> starts but I can't find its status when I type in service dahdi status.
>
> I am using Asterisk 1.8.7 on centos 5.7 32 bit.
>
> CK

If you have no hardware in the server for PSTN connectivity, then you do
not need any card drivers.  If you do not use MeetMe, you would not need
any kernel modules either, but my impression is that it doesn't hurt in
install at least the dahdi.ko module.

When 'service dahdi start' is run, it loads the dahdi.ko module as well
as any modules in the /etc/dahdi/modules config file.  If you have no
hardware, it is safe to comment out all the modules.

If you have no card modules loading, 'service dahdi status' returns
nothing.  If you use the command 'lsmod | grep dahdi' and you see a line
similar to the one below the kernel module is loaded.

dahdi                 186420  0

If you see that, you are good to go.

Dale