[asterisk-users] how to find out one way latency

Adam Moffett adamlists at plexicomm.net
Wed Nov 30 20:13:48 CST 2011

I would bet you get about the same result with the two providers.....all
else being equal.
mdev (mean deviation) is a simple way to measure jitter, and you have to
put in context with the min/avg/max numbers.  If I had 7ms of deviation
and average times of 4ms, that would be an issue because you would be
likely to get packets out of order.  But 7ms compared to 286ms probably
means nothing.

Your biggest problem with both providers is delay, but if you can
tolerate the delay you have now, then you can probably tolerate the
delay with the other provider.

Also note that although packet loss is 0%, some packets are still
dropped in both cases.  One dropped packet means a small amount of audio
is lost (depends on codec, but often 20ms).  If those handful of dropped
packets are scattered evenly then you wouldn't notice it, but it's
common for them to occur in a cluster.  If the 13 packets dropped in the
first example all happened at once you would have lost 260ms of
audio....and you would certainly hear that.  You may be able to tell by
watching the periods appear on the screen when you run the ping
command.  Each period is a dropped packet....if they accumulate in a
burst then something is happening that you would hear on the phone.