[asterisk-users] CDR mysql with asterisk 1.4

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 06:28:48 CST 2011

** THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT PLACE TO POST A REPLY **

On Tuesday 29 November 2011, salaheddine elharit wrote:
> i use centos 5.5 if i install mysql-devel i can still use the version of
> mysql installed now in my server because i use it with a database and Im
> afraid to install this mysql-devel and i lost the version of mysql reunning
> actually
>
> please advice

Yes, it will work fine.  mysql-devel doesn't *replace* an existing mysql
package; it merely adds some "development" files.

The -devel packages are a throwback to the bad old days, when Internet
connectivity was by dial-up modem and hard disk space was scarce.

Basically, when you build a package from Source Code, there are some files that
get left behind and aren't needed just for day-to-day use of the program, but
are essential if you need to build something else that works with the package.

To trim down the size of downloadable packages, these "development" files were
abstracted away into separate packages.

Nine out of ten Linux users have to compile a package from source at some
stage and the tenth one is probably lying.  Most people wouldn't notice the
extra space taken up by -devel packages, and the ones that would -- perhaps
because they're building embedded systems, or have other disk space
constraints -- are smart enough to know what to do.  Yet distributions
continue to separate out these packages and in the process, make the whole
process of compiling from source unnecessarily complicated.

Even an option in the installer to select "always install -devel package if it
exists" would be a good beginning.  Distro maintainers -- are you listening?
Please?

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.