[asterisk-users] MWI for non-subscribed Realtime peers?

Jan Blom jan.blom at peopleinteractive.se
Wed Nov 23 09:20:54 CST 2011

Let me answer my own question. That may save someone's frustration in the future.

The problem is that the Realtime peer never gets loaded, since SIP REGISTER and SIP SUBSCRIBE never reaches Asterisk.

Doing a simple "sip show peer az5134939706 load" from CLI will force load of peer. However, I needed a way of having this done automatically on startup for all (many!) peers. A number of methods are suggested by people (use Google) but they all seemed like hacks to me.

Finally I realized, after rereading chan_sip.c, the solution was to force load the peer from dialplan. If I do this just before I send a caller to voicemail, I can be sure the peer is available when MWI NOTIFY should be sent. Just add this to the dialplan:

same => n,NoOp(${SIPPEER(az5134939706)})

Good luck with your Realtime MWI hacking!

Best regards,
Jan