[asterisk-users] Question about Read() application

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Thu Nov 17 10:10:03 CST 2011

Hello again list,

                              Did the following: (on 1.4.42 installation)

asterisk -rx "core show application read"

  -= Info about application 'Read' =-

[Synopsis]

Read a variable

[Description]

  Read(variable[|filename][|maxdigits][|option][|attempts][|timeout])

Reads a #-terminated string of digits a certain number of times from the

user in to the given variable.

  filename   -- file to play before reading digits or tone with option i

  maxdigits  -- maximum acceptable number of digits. Stops reading after

                maxdigits have been entered (without requiring the user to

                press the '#' key).

                Defaults to 0 - no limit - wait for the user press the '#'
key.

                Any value below 0 means the same. Max accepted value is 255.

  option     -- options are 's' , 'i', 'n'

                's' to return immediately if the line is not up,

                'i' to play  filename as an indication tone from your
indications.conf

                'n' to read digits even if the line is not up.

  attempts   -- if greater than 1, that many attempts will be made in the

                event no data is entered.

  timeout    -- An integer number of seconds to wait for a digit response.
If greater

                than 0, that value will override the default timeout.

Read should disconnect if the function fails or errors out.

I need for Asterisk to "keep going" if I have a problem with Read() or at
least playback some kind of warning.  Any suggestions?

P.S.   The "Read should disconnect" line does not show up in my 10.0
install.

Thanks

Danny Nicholas