[asterisk-users] Skype For Asterisk (SFA)

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 12:41:42 CST 2011

On Wednesday 16 November 2011, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, A J Stiles wrote:
> > You would be better off persuading Skype users to transition to something
> > else.
> Sadly, my experience in the SOHO environment is that Skype wins.
> [stuff deleted]
> And now I'm seeing some of my smaller business customers using Skype. For
> serious business calls too. It's free. They get video. It "just works". No
> fiddling with NAT, port forwarding, never any hint of one-way audio.
> [stuff deleted]
> As for interoerability - well there's Skype-Out. It works, it's set at a
> reasonable price level, so what more do you need?

I need a rock-solid guarantee that nobody can "pick up the ball and go home",
leaving all former users effectively stranded.

A single-vendor proprietary solution is a *massive* single-point failure.
Multiple, competing but mutually-compatible proprietary solutions slightly
less so.  If there is even just one Open Source implementation out there, then
this sort of thing can never happen.

> Once upon a time I would block Skype from working inside a corporate LAN
> and would recomend against it's use - now I'm told to explicitly allow it.

Nothing goes near my company's LAN without Source Code.  I figure if they don't
want you to see it, there must be something in it that they wouldn't expect
you to like it if you saw it.  The level of paranoia on Skype's part only
reinforces that impression.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.