[asterisk-users] Becoming a CLEC

Douglas Mortensen doug at impalanetworks.com
Mon Nov 14 18:56:02 CST 2011

I think that you actually should be looking to your state. I'm pretty sure that even if CLEC is an FCC designation, it is implemented either on a per-state or per-LATA basis. Here in NM there's only 1 LATA, which is why I'm not completely sure. But I believe that the CLEC qualifications & designation is actually managed by the State of NM where I am. One of the state departments had all of the info & seemed to be in charge.

And even if there is more paperwork, reporting, red tape, etc. there are also some MAJOR discounts to be had on circuits due to the regulation that is placed on the ILECs to foster competition. They hate it. But it's not going to change any time in the foreseeable future.

I looked at it back in 2006 or 2007, and there are some competencies that have to be demonstrated in both data and voice.

Anyway, that's about all I know on the topic. Good luck!

-
Doug Mortensen
Network Consultant
Impala Networks