[asterisk-users] How do extensions "stay registered"

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Mon Nov 14 16:25:41 CST 2011

Just trying to offer a little enlightenment - There are basically two
methods of sip phone (peer/extension) registration.  Method 1 is
"self-registration" where Asterisk does not know or care about the phone
until it asks to register.  Method 2 is "required-registration" where
Asterisk expects the phone to be there pretty much 24/7 and will attempt to
register the phone and verify that it is still there at whatever frequency
is specified.  I personally record method 1 phones in users.conf and method
2 phones in sip.conf.