[asterisk-users] DID Provider Issues

eherr email.eherr9633 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 12:00:37 CST 2011

Understandable.

I know you can reroute out a different trunk or forward to another number in the event the end user loses connectivity to the world.

I was wondering what if happens when your upstream DID provider can no longer route the calls to you?

Do they have redundancy? Sometimes it can take a provider 5 - 20 minutes to settle into their backup routing before a call gets
completed again.

Also, I know you can forward calls directly from the upstream providers website but when they are having issues, logging in to
accomplish this is like asking someone to grow wings and fly.

You could also forward from your asterisk box again, that is assuming the calls are making it to you from the upstream.

I even know of an instance where a main TDM switch failed in NYC and calls couldn't be re-routed for awhile.

And thank luck for that internet outage this week only lasted a minute or so, or everyone would have been in bad shape.

>From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Carlos Alvarez
>
>As we were discussing off-list, I don't think there's a solution for problems on the PSTN side.  Our solution has been to fire
carriers that have these >problems frequently.  We haven't had an origination carrier issue in a very long time.  If your
origination carrier has good redundancy, and you do too, >then SIP/IP issues shouldn't get in the way.