[asterisk-users] Provider to End User connection

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Fri Nov 11 10:16:41 CST 2011

We provide hosted service to small and medium business customers.  We allow
customers to use their own low-end internet service if they are small, with
lots of warnings about potential issues.  Our most reliable "enterprise"
quality connection comes from a local WiMAX-based ISP.  They provide a VLAN
right to our gear in shared facilities with guaranteed 3ms latency and
essentially no jitter, MOS scoring, the works.  Unfortunately finding
another one of these in another city is not easy.

If a customer wants to use their own DSL/cable service, we do some testing
to try to get a feel for the quality of the connection.  We also eliminate
old routers that may not deal with VoIP well.  There's no way to guarantee
this connection, but we have some reasonable success with them, as well as
some glaring problems with certain locations.  We've figured out what parts
of the city are problematic or reliable for each of the carriers.  One that
has worked particularly well is Integra with their bonded DSL server (two
bonded DSL circuits).

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 7:37 AM, eherr <email.eherr9633 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are providing a hosted phone system to customers, how do you
> deliver the calls?****
>
> ** **
>
> If you are a end user, how does your provider deliver the calls to you?***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> The reason I ask is I read and hear a lot of issues where people are
> getting dropped calls or service being completely down because the end user
> is receiving their SIP connections over the internet, the local cable/dsl
> provider.****
>
> ** **
>
> What should an end user look for in a ISP/ITSP when choosing a VoIP
> provider in regards to the most reliable service? ****
>
> --

Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve