[asterisk-users] More Cores or more CPU Speed

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Fri May 27 13:17:06 CDT 2011

 From: daniel at danielknoll.de
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:30 PM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [asterisk-users] More Cores or more CPU Speed

Hi Guys,

in next week i plan to upgrade my Asterisk Server. To buy the optimal
Hardware i have a question.

What is better more cores (eg. 2x quadcore) or more CPU speed for a server
that handle a lot of of Meetme Concerences with hundreds of concurrent G711
alaw Channels (no transcoding) ?

in my opinion, more cores are better, because Asterisk ist multithreded and
each channel has a good chance to distribute to the cores.

is that right or what do you think?

Thanks for your answers.
Daniel

Daniel

I would use a Single AMD 8 or 12 Core processor. They work great for us and
you can't beat price for the complete package. It blows intel out of the
water per core pricing. If you really want to go wiled you could use a Dual
Processer 8 or 12 core system and then your in for a ride.  We have been
having great luck with the Supermicro boards and the 6100 series AMD
processors.

Bryant (ZK Tech Inc.)