[asterisk-users] Faxing with Asterisk 1.8.4 & T.38

ewr at erols.com ewr at erols.com
Tue May 24 13:07:52 CDT 2011

On May 20, 2011, at 3:30 PM, Anthony Messina wrote:

> On 05/20/2011 01:20 PM, ewr at erols.com wrote:
>> #1) We would like to use Fax For Asterisk with asterisk 1.8.4 in order to receive faxes via T.38.  Sending faxes is not a requirement.  Does anyone have a working asterisk 1.8.4 configuration and ITSP provider that they can recommend?  We have been trying T.38 DIDs from our current ITSP, but we have been unable to make it work.  I am more than happy to purchase new DIDs from a different provider if they will consistently work and are fairly priced.
>
> I use http://www.ipcomms.net/ with a free inbound DID for faxes.  I
> always receive T.38.

Thanks for the suggestion Anthony.

I went ahead and signed up for a free DID from http://www.ipcomms.net/, but am still unable to receive faxes sent to that DID into FaxForAsterisk.

I have tried faxing to the DID from 2 different fax machines connected to different POTS lines.  One fax machine is a Xerox Workcentre, and the other is a Brother Intellifax.  Can you provide some more information about your setup?  If you wouldn't mind sharing your sip.conf settings, and maybe any other FaxForAsterisk related dialplan settings I would be greatly appreciative.  I feel like we must have *something* really stupid set incorrectly.  The faxes usually attempt to send, and appear to be properly switching to T.38, but usually end up failing with a "receive partial".  We are currently using the Digium fax driver, but have also tried it with spandsp.

I am open to any suggestions on resolving these issues.  Thanks for any help you might be able to give!

Eric
ewr at erols.com