[asterisk-users] Sending call to specific IP address

Paul Hayes paul at provu.co.uk
Tue May 24 06:07:48 CDT 2011

On 23/05/11 22:30, Elliot Murdock wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering how to send a call to a specific IP address that is
> different than the host of the URI.  For example, an invite to the URI
> is "john at phone.com <mailto:john at phone.com>" needs to be sent to the IP
> address 123.456.789.255, not to the IP address of phone.com
> <http://phone.com>.
>
> How is this done?
>
> Thanks,
> Elliot

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, the owner of "phone.com"
should use DNS SRV records to advertise where to send SIP traffic to if
it is not the same as the A record for "phone.com".

E.G.

paul at barney:~$ host provu.co.uk
provu.co.uk has address 81.187.73.2

paul at barney:~$ host -t SRV _sip._udp.provu.co.uk
_sip._udp.provu.co.uk has SRV record 0 1 5060 pbx.provu.co.uk.

cheers,
Paul.