[asterisk-users] AstManProxy

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 04:02:58 CDT 2011

On 20 May 2011 16:16, Ishfaq Malik <ish at pack-net.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 10:58 -0400, Leif Madsen wrote:
>> On 11-05-20 09:37 AM, Ishfaq Malik wrote:
>> > Do many people use this?
>> > Is it reliable and safe?
>>
>> It may still work, but that code is quite old, and I'm not even sure it's
>> necessary any more.
>>
>> Leif.

I use astmanproxy with Asterisk 1.6.2.18 - It works fine. The most
recent version is on Github, and is not that old. In fact that reminds
me that I really must upload my latest changes to my github fork of
the project!

> The reasons I'm considering it are as follows:
> Building a web page which uses AJAX to get information from the AMI
> every 10-30 seconds or so and not wanting to log on and off via AMI that
> many times.
>
> We'll soon be using multiple asterisk servers so having a single point
> of access would be very useful.

Astmanproxy does seem to offer that, but it is not a feature I've used.

> I'd love for you to elaborate on why it's not necessary any more, is
> there something simple I've overlooked?

- I run asterisk in high-priority mode, meaning that every AMI
connection gets a "high priority socket" - Astmanproxy runs at a
normal priority - That just feels like a nicer thing to be doing :)

- If a client fails to read its net socket fast enough, it affects
astmanproxy, and not asterisk with the backlog.. Again, that just
feels like a better way to do it.

- Astmanproxy offers filtering, which can be used to either reduce
load on the client, to present information about a single
device/channel only, or as a sanity layer to block or fix-up invalid
requests by a client.

Hope that helps.
Steve