[asterisk-users] Really, really loud ringers

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Fri May 20 10:24:28 CDT 2011

Hi,

On 05/09/2011 09:40 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> Anyone have some recommended equipment for alerting people to calls in a noisy environment?
>
> I have Polycom IP550 phones set up in some really noisy environments - our mine hoists - and they tend to drown out the ringers.  I'm using Clarity WR100s now.  They're analog devices, attached to Linksys PAP2T ATAs as part of a call group to get a loud (advertised as 95dB) ring out there, but it still could be louder.  Maybe a light-up option would be better.
>
> The old phone system here had some huge loudspeakers that someone had wired right into the speakers of the old digital phones.  I haven't figured out yet if they need a different voltage, or even if they still work; they were not responding when I replaced the attached phones.

I've actually used a pc with linphone as a sip client on it, and
amplified speakers attached to the sound card of this computer. I used
this as a dual purpose setup - loud ringer and public announcement
(tannoy in UK) system. I've done a write-up here with details:

http://forum.voxilla.com/asterisk-support-forum/asterisk-public-announcement-system-loud-ringer-bell-49339.html

This way, you can connect your client pc to as loud an amplifier as you
want (or your budget permits) and equally powerful speakers. I think PA
speakers with amplification integrated are quite good for that - but I
settled on a pair of the most powerful active pc speakers I could find -
and they fill the industrial unit where the system is installed nicely.

Sebastian