[asterisk-users] Cisco 7940 phone and tftpd provisioning - for ever?

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Sun May 8 16:19:31 CDT 2011

Hi all,

Sorry for posting here - but I figured there are many people with Cisco
IP phones here - and I use them with Asterisk :-)

I have a couple of Cisco 7940 phones. I've loaded the SIP firmware OK,
loaded the SIP configuration files OK, they work with Asterisk just fine.

My question is - will I have to keep on running the tftp server for them
for ever and ever? Isn't there any option for them to just use the
settings they have already loaded form the tftp server - so that I can
kill tftpd on my server machine? I tried doing that, and then the phones
stop booting, going in a loop looking for the tftpd server.

It seems a bit pointless, having to run the tftpd daemon all the time -
although I've already loaded the firmware and configurations I want.

Thank you,

Sebastian