[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Paul Belanger pabelanger at digium.com
Thu May 5 15:23:10 CDT 2011

On 11-05-05 04:11 PM, Mark Deneen wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Paul Belanger<pabelanger at digium.com>  wrote:

>>> Well, it's not a lot of people willing to run beta software on their
>>> phone system. Phones need to work and for most people they need to work
>>> perfectly all the time. I'm one of those oddities that will always run
>>> beta software if given the chance but my experience is that quite rare.
>>>
>>>   I am not saying using production servers to test, rather reproducing your
>> production setups in a test environment.  You would then create test plans
>> or test cases of the features you use in Asterisk.  Once documented, for
>> each and every RC of Asterisk you go through the steps outlined in your test
>> plan / case, confirming this work as expected and then documenting the
>> results.
>>

> Not everyone has spare dahdi hardware / analog T circuits, but I agree.

Yes, so in that scenario test cases / plans should be generic as
possible so the underlying channel technology does not matter.

I realize certain situations or feature will require DAHDI hardware, and
that is fine. People with the spare equipment can report back results if
possible. However a test case which is create to verify app_voicemail
can (as should) be run against all channel types; with the results
documented as required.

--
Paul Belanger
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer