[asterisk-users] Auto dialing Polycoms and other SIP phones

Pan B. Christensen pan at ibidium.no
Thu May 5 10:46:35 CDT 2011

Hello Mike,

It is possible for Polycom phones to auto-answer an incoming call with speakerphone. I don’t have the details available right now, but it requires changing the phone’s configuration and sending a custom sip header with the INVITE. Great care should be taken when implementing this, as it could allow anyone to listen in or spy on your customer and/or their employees without their knowledge. No need to physically put bugs in the office anymore. The phones will already be there and they’ll be configured to allow monitoring of the room.

Autoanswer after one ring of a “beep” (or similar) ringtone may be a better solution for you and the customer.

Hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Pan