[asterisk-users] best current version and motherboard/CPU compatibilities

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Tue May 3 17:49:51 CDT 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:46 PM, || dave cantera Mobile
<david.cantera at ibsonecall.com> wrote:
> I've been away from asterisk for a while since 1.4.16 and only installed 1.6
> once to run a test... can someone recommend what the best version to install
> is and the recommended CPU/motherboard for an * box these days? I'm just
> running about 20 handsets and 4-8 lines with POTS & SIP mix.
>
> I remember there were some issues with bios a while back and a TDM card was
> required for timing conferencing, etc... are these requirements still an
> issue?
>
> I want to setup another * box and was wondering which CPU/motherboard to
> select...
> thanks,
> daveC

I like my machine, I have been using it for some 5 years now:

root at pbx:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 5
model           : 8
model name      : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 350.801
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mmx syscall 3dnow
bogomips        : 699.59

root at pbx:~# cat /proc/meminfo
        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  129593344 126328832  3264512        0 12873728  8675328
Swap: 518152192  5279744 512872448
MemTotal:       126556 kB
MemFree:          3188 kB
MemShared:           0 kB
Buffers:         12572 kB
Cached:           6900 kB
SwapCached:       1572 kB
Active:           5072 kB
Inactive:        15996 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       126556 kB
LowFree:          3188 kB
SwapTotal:      506008 kB
SwapFree:       500852 kB

pbx*CLI> show version
Asterisk 1.2.13 built by root @ pbx on a i586 running Linux on
2006-11-14 04:10:38 UTC
pbx*CLI> show  uptime
System uptime: 5 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, 2 minutes, 35 seconds

Runs fine and is only up for that short because the last power outage was then.