[asterisk-users] What is the most stable version of asterisk?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Fri Mar 25 02:26:46 CDT 2011

On Thursday 24 March 2011 11:38:54 Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011, Douglas Mortensen wrote:
> > 1.2? 1.4? 1.6? 1.8?
>
> 1.2 has been the most stable version for me.
>
> Same setups with 1.4 +DAHDI has never been as stable with random crashes
> and re-starts - however they're not predictable and sometimes months
> apart. I had one instance of 1.2 run for over a year without a hiccup.
>
> I've not even thought about 1.8 yet.

There is an inherent danger in running 1.2 code at this point, however.
Any security issue that applies to 1.2 won't be patched by the Asterisk
team, now that it has passed out of security maintenance mode.  You'll
need to watch for future vulnerability reports, keeping in mind that some
vulnerabilities will only apply to Asterisk 1.2, not later versions (in
which case Digium _may_ silently ignore the reports), and you may need to
patch those manually.

Depending upon your setup, this may or may not be a big concern, but you
should at least be aware of it.  If your Asterisk 1.2 box is public-facing,
this is a potential risk that you should mitigate.

--
Tilghman