[asterisk-users] Error compiling Asterisk 1.8.3 on Sun SPARC x64 w/Debian Squeeze

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:48:47 CST 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Stuart Longland <redhatter at gentoo.org>wrote:

> On 03/08/11 09:21, RR wrote:
> > Hello Stuart
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Stuart Longland <redhatter at gentoo.org
> > <mailto:redhatter at gentoo.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Even if it doesn't help fix the problem, you probably will want to
> use
> >     at least -mcpu=v9 (educated guess looking at the gcc manpage) if it's
> an
> >     UltraSPARC as that will give you some of these instructions.
>  Asterisk
> >     strikes me as an application that'd make fairly hefty use of things
> like
> >     integer multiplication.
> >
> > Ok, where would I put this -mcpu=v9 in the configure line?
> >
> > I tried ./configure CFLAGS="-mcpu=v9"?
>
> Normally it's specified in the environment; so maybe CFLAGS="-mcpu=v9"
> ./configure…

I tried both ways, my way and yours i.e. setting them as env variables and
it still gets that error. Also found some other stuff on the net related to
that in different context but none of those work for me. Some where in some
old debian archives there's some mention of the Boost libraries and the flag
that must be used on Sparc with Boost libraries. Although it also says that
it was fixed in some later release which was back in 2008, so am assuming
that fix is still in place in Squeeze.

> > BTW, at the end of the configure script, it's already detecting the host
> > cpu as sparc64. If that helps. Maybe -march needs to be specified
> > somewhere?
>
> Maybe, the fact that it detected 'sparc64' probably is more a case of
> telling the build system that the system is big-endian, requires that
> data structures be 64-bit aligned, etc.  Use of features that weren't in
> the first SPARC is an optional extra.

Ok, if that doesn't help then another interesting insight is that in
config.log, it says that the response to 'arch' and 'arch -k' commands is
'unknown'. Don't know if that helps.

> >     Another place to ask might be the Debian-SPARC mailing list?
> >
> > haha funny, I was just writing an email to that list when your email hit
> > my inbox :)
>
> Telepathy; seems we think alike. :-D  Must be due to me being from the
> same part of the world.

Possibly :) although I have found that there's not a lot of activity in that
list on a regular basis. So not sure if my problem will get resolved there
or not :(