[asterisk-users] Asterisk/SIP Issue - Long Shot

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 03:44:49 CDT 2011

On Wednesday 29 Jun 2011, Marc Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a bit of a long shot and I don't have much information on what
> is actually happening...
>
> Our production Asterisk system: ~2,000 SIP handsets, (2) Digium
> TE220s, Asterisk 1.6.2.18, RHEL 5 x86_64
>
> Every few weeks, or few months, or X amount of time, the SIP portion
> of Asterisk seems to hang/die. Nothing abnormal in the typical
> Asterisk logs; the "rest" of Asterisk still seems to function fine --
> incoming DAHDI calls come in and are queued in the various queues.
> 'sip set debug on' gives NO messages/errors/information at all;
> 'module reload chan_sip.so' does nothing (never seems to unload/load
> it), again nothing in the logs.
>
> It just seems like the chan_sip.so (or everything SIP) just hangs --
> no errors related to SIP; when Asterisk is in this "state" we are
> unable to stop it gracefully -- it always requires a kill -9.

Have you got extensions referenced in your dialplan that either don't have a
corresponding entry in sip.conf, or where there isn't a device on the
network?

I inherited a system with a similar problem.  The previously-installed
Asterisk version  (some flavour of 1.2)  didn't seem to mind trying to dial
non-existent devices; but the 1.6.2.9 that replaced it objected fatally.

I ended up making major  (i.e., stopping just shy of rewriting from scratch)
edits to extensions.conf and sip.conf, pruning out sections that had lost
their relevance, and everything was fine after that.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.