[asterisk-users] Asterisk/SIP Issue - Long Shot

Marc Smith marc.smith at mcc.edu
Wed Jun 29 12:46:37 CDT 2011

Hi,

This is a bit of a long shot and I don't have much information on what
is actually happening...

Our production Asterisk system: ~2,000 SIP handsets, (2) Digium
TE220s, Asterisk 1.6.2.18, RHEL 5 x86_64

Every few weeks, or few months, or X amount of time, the SIP portion
of Asterisk seems to hang/die. Nothing abnormal in the typical
Asterisk logs; the "rest" of Asterisk still seems to function fine --
incoming DAHDI calls come in and are queued in the various queues.
'sip set debug on' gives NO messages/errors/information at all;
'module reload chan_sip.so' does nothing (never seems to unload/load
it), again nothing in the logs.

It just seems like the chan_sip.so (or everything SIP) just hangs --
no errors related to SIP; when Asterisk is in this "state" we are
unable to stop it gracefully -- it always requires a kill -9.

The times this happen seem totally random -- this issue has persisted
through several different versions of Asterisk 1.6.2.x branch.
Sometimes its weeks between occurrences, other times its months. This
Asterisk host easily processes several thousand calls per day.

Any ideas or if anyone could at least point us in the right direction
would be greatly appreciated. When this does happen, and we need to
intervene, we try to poke around for a few seconds and test different
things, but again this is a production system, so the quicker its back
up, the better. =)

Thanks,

Marc