[asterisk-users] Monitor Asterisk and Ast-gui

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 10:28:30 CDT 2011

On 24 Jun 2011, at 07:41, Richard Zulu wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I have installed asterisk 1.8 on Slackware 13.1 from source and it is working well.
>
> I have 300 ip phones in a natted environment and my asterisk server has a public IP
>
> I would love to monitor my SIP activity on my VOIP Server, statistics like amount of sip traffic, who made what call and to whom, how many calls were made in a month, how many ip phones are up and running, which sip phone has made most calls among others.
>
> How best can I do that?
>
> On the other hand, I have also tried installing ast-gui onto asterisk 1.8, it has installed well but it however keeps looping whenever i try to login in, it says checking permissions on gui folder and loops. Haven't found much help on other mailing lists, any direction given in welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Richard Zulu
>
> Twitter
> www.twitter.com/richardzulu
>
> Skype: zulu.richard
>
> There is no place like 127.0.0.1

I've solved this a couple of different ways, depending on the nature of the reporting.

The 'conventional' way is to  have CDR log to a relational database (probably not mySQL)
and then write queries against that data.

It can get quite tricky to get things like max-active-calls out of CDR although it is possible
if you are sneaky and have a decent database engine.

  select max(
        (select count (s.cdr_key)
                from cdr s
                where s.created_at -(s.billsec/(24*60*60)) < a.created_at  -(a.billsec/(24*60*60))
                and s.created_at > a.created_at - (a.billsec/(24*60*60))
                and s.accountcode in ('VUCME','ZDX')
        )+1) as channels
        from cdr a
where
        to_char(a.created_at,'IWYY') = {@weekno}
        and a.accountcode in ('VUCME','ZDX')
        order by a.created_at - a.billsec/(24*60*60)

for example.

The dis advantage of this is that it is purely retrospective - cdr gets written at the end of the call (mostly).

The unconventional way is to hang something like Asterisk-java (or adhearsion) off the manager
and have it collect events into 'interesting' silos - modern languages like groovy and Ruby are pretty good at this
sort of thing.

Last I looked SNMP only tells you about the _current_ state of the calls, no retrospection at all.

Tim Panton - Web/VoIP consultant and implementor
www.westhawk.co.uk