[asterisk-users] Problem with ReceiveFAX app from FFA

Larry Moore lmoore at starwon.com.au
Mon Jun 20 07:44:06 CDT 2011

On 20/06/2011 8:18 AM, Steve Underwood wrote:
> On 06/20/2011 03:38 AM, khalid touati wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>> I solved temporarely my issue by kind of tricking Asterisk, I used
>> the following line instead of the old:
>> exten => h,n,System('/usr/local/
>> bin/fax2mail -p -f "${FAXFILENOEXT}" --cid-number ${CALLERID(num)}
>> --cid-name "${CALLERID(name)}" --dest-name "Sir/Madam"')
>> now when it hang up I receive my fax through email, and let me tell
>> you (first time using Free Fax from Asterisk) ReceiveFAX catch well
>> faxes, just a couple tries but got them all, let's see with more
>> faxes what will happen.
>>
> Why do you consider this a temporary fix? The far end machine will
> normally hang up at the end of the FAX, so the hangup option in the
> dialplan is exactly where you should expect to be.

I don't know the specifics of how an Asterisk application should exit
however WRT ReceiveFAX() using SPANDSP Technology I would expect the
call to descend to any functions below ReceiveFAX() whether or not the
facsimile was received successfully, the status codes from ReceiveFAX()
can be used by whatever is called next, e.g. a script to e-mail the
received facsimile or a report advising errors were encountered.

I am using a macro to receive faxes, I have placed my System() call back
to were the macro returns after execution due to the function not being
called after ReceiveFAX() under certain conditions.

This however does not guarantee getting an e-mail of what has been
received if the sender decides to abort the transmission.

I can reproduce this using HylaFAX to send a fax to an extension which
Asterisk ReceiveFAX(<filename>,f) will accept, granted it will fall back
to G.711 mode when receiving, when I abort the transmission using WHFC
client, it is as though ReceiveFAX() goes of somewhere else or simply
decides to forget where it came from as it does not appear to return
hence the System() call is never made.

I should point out I am using extensions.ael for my dialplan.

I personally have considered this behaviour to possibly be a bug.

Cheers,

Larry.