[asterisk-users] trunk between 2 servers

Robin Vleij viper at fx-services.com
Tue Jun 7 16:47:55 CDT 2011

On 6/7/11 7:40 PM, Steve Edwards wrote:

Hi!

Agree on the IAX. Had never used it, I was a SIP-Only one man band. Not
got a VPS in a different location and configured IAX between them. Cool
thing is it has encryption built-in, in case you don't have both of the
machine locally.

As a really ugly fail-over setup I just made a new context in my
extentions.conf for iax-in where I also have all my extentions (like all
6! :-). In the sip context in the dialplan I added an entry to dial
extention at other_iax node in case of failure.

So now I get trunked calls in on one of both boxes (you can setup an SRV
to configure the standby machine) and I'll try the ext locally. If that
one fails (not registered) it'll send the call over the IAX trunk to the
other machine. Fails there: voicemail.

Basically there's no end to what you can do this way, like have some
trunk operators connected to the machine that's closest by and deliver
the calls there yourself over IAX. IAX can have monitoring and
encryption, pretty nice stats too. If you managed to setup SIP, IAX is
easy. I only used Google basically. Just don't forget the two contexts
to prevent loops. And in my ugly work-around you'll have two places to
check voicemail, if you would use that.

/Robin